Friday, March 2, 2012

Self-Harm Awareness Day

    Last night, I learned that it was Self-Harm Awareness Day.  By that time, it was already late and I had to go to bed.  However, I want to make a post about it, even though it's not Self-Harm Awareness Day anymore.
    For people who don't know what this day is (the name of the day is pretty self explanatory), it's a day dedicated to people who harm themselves, such as cutting, burning, biting, stabbing, and literally beating them self up.  This day is important because if you know someone who harm them self, speak up and try to help them.  Self injuries are really serious and should be taken seriously.  Most of the time, people who harm themselves are usually caused by something in their life.  It could be either a traumatic event in their past, any difficult relationships, family problems, stress, depression, etc.
    Going back to the whole stereotype with the word "emo", please never label these people as "emo".  That is very offensive and hurtful.  These people are emotionally troubled, and calling names and making fun of them makes things worse.
    I have friends who harm themselves, and I'm trying everyday to try and get them to stop.  However, it's easier said than done.  When you're deeply depressed, it's hard to just stop.  The person will gradually get better though.  Treat the person with care and respect.  Try not to bring up anything that could offend them.  Remember, these people are sensitive, and saying just the wrong word could set them off.
    As for myself, I have been through depression before.  I have even been through the whole cutting situation.  In fact, I'm currently still depressed.  I have recently stopped cutting for a month, and I was pleased with that.  Then yesterday, some things happened and that caused me to cut again sadly.  Since my wrist is already covered with scars, I needed a new place to cut.  As horrific as this is, I have begun cutting my leg.  Yes, my leg.  I needed to find a place where people couldn't see it.  I know this is bad for me, but when you're depressed, I'm willing to try anything to cope.  Since I'm afraid to vent, because of how people will react, I hurt myself.  I always think, "I let out my pain through another form of pain."  I let out my emotional pain through physical pain.
  I know I seem like a hypocrite, and I know I am, but some things just aren't easy.  That's why I don't want anyone to end up like me.  If you have any depression, or suicidal thoughts, or any other problems, talk to someone before it's too late.  Happiness is valuable, so keep hold onto it.
 
P.S.
I found this website that gave some really good information about Self-Harm Awareness Day.  Check it out: http://beccalicious.deviantart.com/journal/Self-Harm-Awareness-day-1st-March-2012-288021434

No comments:

Post a Comment